On August 1, 2013 I left my homestate of Michigan and headed west to Colorado. I started this blog as a way of keeping my friends and family in touch with my mile-high adventures, as well as my new life in dental school.

Friday, August 16, 2013

Survived Week One as a DS1!

It was long and crazy but I made it through my first week of dental school!  I'm very fortunate to have such great professors with so much energy and passion for helping their students!  This semester I'm taking microanatomy, craniofacial biology, dental materials, intro to dentistry, and dental morphology.  Human gross anatomy will also be added to our schedule in a couple of months.  So far microanatomy and craniofacial biology are a little overwhelming, since we're covering about a semester's worth of undergrad biochemistry or molecular biology in every lecture.  We started in the tech lab this week with dental morphology and I'm excited to see what's to come.  This week's assignment is a wax card, on which we'll practice working with wax by molding it into various different shapes using our dental instruments.  Once we've mastered wax, we'll be moving into the sim clinics to start drill-n-filling on our mannequins!






I also saw an orthopedic doctor about my foot this week.  We looked at my x-rays, and due to the severity of the break he told me I'll have to have surgery in order to guarantee full function of my foot after it heals.  Not exactly the news I was hoping for, considering I'll have to miss lab and lecture for the surgery and recovery.  However, I know I'll be better off in the long run, and surgery will likely get me back on my feet sooner than going without.  In the meantime, I was given a weight-bearing boot to try and I bought a knee scooter on amazon to help me get around.  The boot is too painful on my sprained ankle/ligaments on top of my foot, so I'll have to wait on that, but I'm really looking forward to getting my scooter and actually being able to do things myself.


1 comment:

  1. You'll have great stories to tell later - I mean years later! Kudos for the positive attitude! Rhonda W.

    ReplyDelete