On August 1, 2013 I left my homestate of Michigan and headed west to Colorado. I started this blog as a way of keeping my friends and family in touch with my mile-high adventures, as well as my new life in dental school.

Sunday, August 4, 2013

Colorful Colorado





Two long days of driving and I finally made it to "Colorful Colorado!"  My roommate, Camille, and I are in the process of moving in and getting settled [insert frustrated remark about building Ikea furniture], and the reality of being in Colorado is finally starting to sink in.

To break in my sea-level lungs at altitude, I spent yesterday hiking my first 14er, Grays Peak, with about 15 of my future classmates.  (In case you don't know, "14er" is the nickname for the 14,000+ ft. mountains in the Colorado Rockies.)  The hike was definitely more challenging than I expected, and I slipped and busted my bum a few times on the way down, but I made it to the summit in 2 hours and 40 minutes!  On the way up I became a little dizzy and delusional, and much to the amusement of my classmates, said some strange things, like "sea-lander" as opposed to "sea-leveler"... thus creating my new nickname, "Sealander."  Despite my comical struggles, I can say that I'm definitely proud myself and can't wait to hike another one soon... although next time I'll wear hiking boots :)



















No comments:

Post a Comment