On August 1, 2013 I left my homestate of Michigan and headed west to Colorado. I started this blog as a way of keeping my friends and family in touch with my mile-high adventures, as well as my new life in dental school.

Friday, August 30, 2013

Surgery, exams, and a little bit of family time

My surgery last Thursday was successful!  I got in a 20 minute argument with my anesthesiologist over local anesthesia vs. general anesthesia (I insisted on GA because I'm a baby and the thought of being awake while being sliced and diced freaks me out), but everything went well as far as I can tell.  I have a plate and a couple screws in my foot now, and will need another surgery in the future to have the removed, but I'm happy that I'll hopefully recover more quickly now.

This week I had exams in both microanatomy and craniofacial bio exams and they both went better than I expected.  It was definitely a struggle to study while on painkillers that affected my cognition and made me want to sleep all day, but I had a whole weekend beforehand to study.  I have some room for improvement, but I'm so happy that I did as well as I did given my circumstances.

My dad and his girlfriend, Chau were also in Denver this weekend to visit on their way to California for a vacation.  It was so nice to have them here and see some familiar faces.  They took care of me after my surgery and cooked me a ton of food that would be easy for me to reheat.  I only get to see my dad one or two times a year since he lives in Virginia, so it was so nice to have him here!

No comments:

Post a Comment